There are many connections between the extended Wilco and Field Notes families, not the least of which is that we both send our work out into the world via Chicago.
More than anything, Jim, Aaron, and the Field Notes Crew are fans, and we were thrilled for the chance to collaborate with a band we love so much. We figure there is plenty of overlap between the people who dig Wilco’s music and those who like our products, and we hope you enjoy using these memo books as much as we enjoyed making them.
This set was truly collaborative; we paired each member of Wilco with an exceptional artist, handed them all the same limited palette of colors, and let them improvise.
This “Wilco × Field Notes” Box Set is the result. The box contains six Memo Books reflecting the craft and talent of the artists and the passions and personalities of the musicians. Field Notes co-founder Aaron Draplin recruited the artists and oversaw the process.
All six books feature French Construction 100# “Grout Gray” covers with red, blue, and yellow spot inks. Bodies are Finch Opaque 60# “Bright White” text-weight with a light gray dot-grid. The set is packaged in a durable, custom-made slipcase that’s been constructed with the same paper and ink for a perfect match.
These books are waiting for your lyrics, set-lists, and show notes — or maybe your reminders, grocery lists, or meeting notes. Whatever it is, it’s always a good idea to write it down.
Jeff Tweedy & Aaron Draplin
Mikael Jorgensen & John Gall
Glenn Kotche & Cody Hudson
Pat Sansone & Lauren Dickens
John Stirratt & Brett Stenson
Nels Cline & Lawrence Azerrad
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
- 02. Cover: French Construction 100#C “Grout Gray,” with a thick, brute force, 3-color application of red, blue, and yellow soy-based Toyo inks.
- 03. Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of gray soy-based Toyo ink.
- 04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
- 05. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge DCM double round-corner machine.
- 07. Dot-Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- 09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.