The story of Schut Papier takes us back to the Dutch Golden Age. As society grew more prosperous, numerous paper mills arose in the Veluwe to take advantage of the clean water and the power of the fast-flowing streams. Today, they are focused on still providing high quality papers while being sustainable and environmentally conscious.
Brief History of Schut Brand:
- In 1618 ‘De Veentjes', a water mill with a paper mill, is founded in Heelsum.
- In 1710, the factory is sold to the family Schut, who focus on producing quality paper.
- In 1895, the entire factory burns down. A new one is built with steam powered machines replacing the water mill.
- In 1977, the last descendant of the Schut family leaves the company.
- In 1982, the ownership of the Schut family’s shares are transferred to “De Gelderse Papiergroup NV”. This leads to the manufacture of the original, world renowned ‘Van Gelder Oud Hollands’ laid paper and envelopes, with and without watermark and with deckle edges.
- On 1 July 1998, Papierfabriek Schut B.V. becomes a subsidiary of the French group Exacompta Clairefontaine S.A. Schut Papier operates autonomously to a large extent within the group. This lays the foundations for a healthy future.